Experience yoga like never before!
Flying Yoga uses a low hung fabric hammock to support your weight while doing various yoga poses. The way the hammock supports your weight is what makes flying yoga so innovative from other forms of yoga. For example, participants can lift their leg into the sling while they rock back and forth, losing up the hip joints. You will build strength, flexibility, and release compression from the body through stretching, inversions, and core work.
BENEFITS OF FLYING YOGA
Flying Yoga postures will help provide you with a better understanding of traditional yoga postures as well. The muscle release achieved in the air allows members to get a much deeper stretch compared to a regular yoga class. Flying yoga provides the unique opportunity to hang upside down (inversion). Many have attested to amazing benefits from inversions including but not limited to a reversal of gravity’s effects on skin and wrinkles, increased circulation to the brain, helping memory and other brain functions, and release of tension in the core. Others have enjoyed reduced back pain due to the lengthening of the spine that happens when hanging upside down.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Flying Yoga is a unique class blending yoga and aerial work that revolves around counteracting gravity. This practice uses a soft silk hammock to lift you off the ground and at the same time allowing for yoga poses. By relieving compression due to the pull of gravity while on the ground, the spine is elongated, and the shoulders straightened. The few inches of suspension in the air releases tension on the bones and muscles, increasing flexibility. Each hammock supports up to 2,000 pounds.
- Improve posture through spinal decompression
- Improve spinal health
- Increase flexibility
- Hold yoga postures longer and in correct alignment
- Perform yoga inversions without neck or back compression
- Circulatory and lymphatic system refresh
- Strengthen and tone all muscles
- Core strengthening
- Increase brain activity allowing you to think and function better
- Increased balance and agility
- Increased joint mobility
- Low impact conditioning
- Improved self-esteem
- Works as functional training
- Increasing range of motion with less stress and pain
- Anti-gravity poses release oxygen and nutrients to the brain that penetrate through the skin and scalp. It’s a natural cleanser that is believed to enhance skin elasticity and hair growth
Flying Yoga can be a gentle and restorative class for those who wish to stretch and move at a slow and gentle pace; Flying Yoga can also be tailored to the more advanced practitioner looking to deepen and explore poses in a new way. This type of yoga is easily adaptable to any fitness level and a perfect place to begin working towards inversions with the gentle support of the fabric.
Don’t avoid yoga just because you think you aren’t flexible. In fact, if you have tight muscles, yoga is just the thing to loosen you up. The point of yoga is not to show off how flexible you are, but rather to become more flexible over time. With the help of the fabric, you will be able to deepen your stretches and increase flexibility.
Flying Yoga hammocks are rated to hold up to 2,000 pounds each.
It is always a good idea to consult your doctor before participating. If you are pregnant, we do not suggest taking a Flying Yoga class. If you have severe physical limitations, please talk to our instructors before starting class. You will want to bring a yoga mat but, other mats are available if needed. Avoid caffeine or nicotine for at least one hour before attending class. Please do not eat a heavy meal in the two hours before class. Please arrive five minutes early to for paperwork and to become acquainted with your hammock (late arrival will not be permitted).
Flying yoga is practiced barefoot. Workout clothing that covers armpits and knees are suggested–capris or long pants are ideal, they offer protection from friction on the backs of the knees. Cotton or cotton blend fabric is best (non-slippery). Clothing should cover body jewelry and we suggest removing facial piercing. Clothing should be comfortable but, not loose, remember you may hang upside down. Please trim long or sharp fingernails and toenails. Please observe good personal hygiene and wear deodorant.
Please DO NOT wear clothing with zippers, velcro or anything with metal hardware, jewelry, hair clips, shoes, heavy makeup, perfume, cologne or lotions.
Flying Yoga is a low impact class, but still a complex workout. So you should listen to your body. Try a couple of classes a week, but be sure to give you body a rest day in between sessions.
- Spaces are limited and require a reservation (a gym membership is not necessary)
- Do not arrive for classes without a reservation
- An email address is required to make your reservation
- We require payment at the time of reservation
- Classes with no reservations are subject to cancellation two hours before class
- No refunds after registration
- No refunds for canceled reservations or no-shows
- If a class is full, we do have a waitlist
- For your safety, we do not allow late entry after classes have begun
- Visitors and children are not allowed during class